- T5838 and T5837 PDM microphones offer 68 dBA SNR while consuming only 130 µA in always-on mode and 330 µA in high-performance mode
- The T5838 PDM microphone includes an innovative Acoustic Activity Detect (AAD) feature that saves system power and prolongs battery life
- Suitable for many IoT and edge AI applications including voice activated TV remote controls, window glass break detection for home security, augmented reality glasses, wearables, action cameras, smart speakers, and TWS earbuds
June 21, 2023
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces that its low-power InvenSense T5838 and T5837 digital PDM microphones, part of the SmartSound™ family, have established themselves as the microphone of choice for low-power edge AI application processors that perform keyword detection, due to its innovative Acoustic Activity Detect (AAD) feature that enables system power savings, thus prolonging battery life, and ability to intelligently detect keywords or voice commands. With their exceptional power efficiency and superb performance, offering 68 dBA SNR and consuming only 130 µA in always-on mode and 330 µA in high-performance mode, the T5838 and T5837 microphones enable developers to integrate voice command functionalities and audio detection capabilities into their products.
Key features and advantages of the T5838 and T5837 microphones for low-power edge AI applications include:
- Lowest Power Consumption: The T5838 and T5837 consume significantly less power compared to competing solutions in the market. This extends battery life, making it the ideal choice for applications where power efficiency is paramount, particularly critical for edge AI.
- Acoustic Activity Detect (AAD) Feature: The T5838 advanced AAD intelligently screens for acoustic activity indicating keywords or voice commands, allowing the application’s processor to efficiently manage power consumption during idle periods. This enables IoT and edge AI devices to remain in an always-on state, ready to respond to user interactions, without draining the battery.
- Superior Performance: The microphones offer ultra-low power consumption, yet do not compromise on audio quality or performance. In high quality mode, the T5838 and T5837 deliver 68 dBA SNR and 133 AOP while only consuming a miniscule 310uA at 1.8 v, providing excellent sound fidelity to ensure accurate keyword detection even in noisy environments.
“The low power consumption and AAD functionalities of the T5838 microphone are essential to our customers’ who are deploying energy-efficient, high-performance edge AI solutions in speech recognition and acoustic event detection,” stated Kurt Busch, Syntiant’s CEO. He further emphasized, “Syntiant has closely collaborated with TDK to maximize the use of the T5838’s AAD features with our Neural Decision Processors, aiming to deliver the most power-efficient solutions available in the market today.”
“RASynBoard is a tiny, ultra-low power, edge AI/ML board that achieves highly efficient processing of acoustic- and motion events,” stated Jim Beneke, VP, Advanced Applications Group, Avnet. “TDK’s innovative SmartSound performance solutions continue to represent disruptive and ground-breaking products that improve end user experience, empowering our customers and partners.”
“The combination of Syntiant’s NDP120 neural processor and our T5838 digital PDM microphone enables always-on speech recognition and audio detection capabilities for edge IoT applications,” said Uday Mudoi, VP & GM – Microphone BU, InvenSense, a TDK group company. “The Avnet RASynBoard Kit with TDK’s T5838 Microphone and ICM-4670 IMU will accelerate time to market for customers building smart edge systems.”
TDK’s T5838 and T5837 are available now for evaluation and integration into various devices. For more information or to request a sample, please visit https://invensense.tdk.com/smartsound/ or contact InvenSense Sales at email@example.com.
TDK will be demonstrating the T5838 and T5837 microphones at the upcoming Sensors Converge 2023, booth #992 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, June 20-23, 2023. TDK will present a full range of sensor system solutions targeted for applications across automotive, consumer, health, industrial, machine learning, robotics, and more across multiple TDK product brands: InvenSense, Micronas, Qeexo, and Trusted Positioning. More information on TDK technologies and solutions can be found atwww.tdk.com
- AI: Artificial Intelligence
- AOP: Acoustic Overload Point
- SNR: Signal to Noise Ratio
- PDM: Pulse Density Modulation
- AAD: Acoustic Activity Detect
- True wireless earbuds
- Voice activated TV remote controls
- Window glass break detection
- Augmented reality glasses
- Action cameras
- Smart speakers
- Conference phone systems
Main features and benefits
- Low noise digital MEMS microphone with pulse density modulation (PDM) output
- Multiple operational modes: Sleep, Low Power, High Quality and Ultrasonic Mode
- Acoustic Activity Detect (AAD) modes for both Analog and Digital
- SNR of 68dBA and AOP of 133 dB SPL in high quality mode
- 130 µA in always-on mode and 330 µA in high-performance mode
- RoHS/WEEE compliant
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK’s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda. TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2023, TDK posted total sales of USD 16.1 billion and employed about 103,000 people worldwide.
InvenSense, a TDK Group company, is a world-leading provider of SmartSensing platforms targeting the consumer electronics and industrial areas with integrated Motion, Sound, Pressure, and Ultrasonic solutions. InvenSense’s solutions combine MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems) sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, barometric pressure sensors, and ultrasonic time-of-flight sensors with proprietary algorithms and firmware that intelligently process, synthesize, and calibrate the output of sensors, maximizing performance and accuracy. InvenSense’s motion tracking, ultrasonic, audio, fingerprint, location platforms and services can be found in Mobile, Wearables, Smart Home, Industrial, Automotive, IoT, Robotics, and many more types of products. InvenSense became part of the MEMS Sensors Business Group within the Sensor Systems Business Company of TDK Corporation in 2017. InvenSense is headquartered in San Jose, California and has offices worldwide.
You can download this text and associated images at https://invensense.tdk.com/news-media/tdk-low-power-t5838-mems-microphones-edge-ai-applications/