- All-in-one multi-sensor wireless solution with ICM-456xy Balanced Gyro IMU Family
- Machine learning enabled – to build, test, and deploy ML models on the IMU
- Head tracking solution added for TWS and AR glass products
January 05, 2023
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces the InvenSense SmartBug 2.0 with various new and exciting features for consumer and IoT applications as a smart remote data-collection module for IoT after the success of the original SmartBug in 2019. “SmartBug 2.0 will take digital transformation to the next level by not only being a trusted source of smart sensor data, but by providing the ability to create efficient machine learning models on a 2.5 x 3 mm sensor,” said Sahil Choudhary, Product Marketing Director, at InvenSense, a TDK Group company.
SmartBug 2.0 features:
- ICM-45686-S IMU: The SmartBug 2.0 replaces the ICM-42688-P IMU with the latest BalancedGyro IMU, ICM-456xy, the world’s lowest power IMU (220 µA @ 50 Hz 6-Axis) from TDK. This allows developers to collect high quality IMU data for a much longer time, due to the larger battery life (3x better). This new IMU also provides premium temperature stability and vibration rejection, making SmartBug 2.0 useful for products such as AR glasses, VR, OIS, drones, MR, TWS, and robotics for prototyping, data collection, and Machine Learning-based algorithm development.
- Machine Learning: SmartBug 2.0’s key feature is the introduction of machine learning (ML). Developers, ODMs, OEMs, and product developers can now use SmartBug 2.0 along with the sensor inference framework (SIF) by TDK to build machine learning solutions for the ICM-45686-S IMU. SIF is an all-in-one comprehensive software by TDK that enables users to collect IMU sensor data, select custom features, build ML models, test performance, deploy, and run those models on the ICM-456xy IMU through the SmartBug 2.0. This end-to-end solution allows ML enthusiasts to develop custom motion classification algorithms and run them on a 2.5*3 mm IMU at a current consumption as low as 30 µA. A few examples include algorithms such as exercise classification (squats, jumping jacks, lateral raises, or push-ups) and wrist gesture classification (fight, clench, shake, or still mode). Furthermore, the small and wireless factor of the SmartBug 2.0 enables engineers to test these ML models in real use-cases and tune the ML parameters accordingly, to create robust ML models at the lowest power.
- Head Tracking solution: SmartBug 2.0 added TDK’s head tracking solution (VibeSense360) for TWS and AR applications. This will help TWS and audio companies collect raw sensor and head orientation data at the lowest power (280 µA at 50 Hz) from a TDK solution and learn unique signatures about enabling spatial audio. Please contact TDK sales support for more information on TDK’s VibeSense360 solution for TWS applications.
- Air Motion solution: SmartBug 2.0 enhances TDK’s Air Motion solution by adding swipe gestures, remote orientation gestures, and accurate cursor tracking for smart TV remotes.
- Data Collection Improvements: Based on user feedback, SmartBug 2.0 has also updated streaming and logging parameters in SmartBug to enable longer duration streaming and logging of multi-sensor and algorithm data.
Lastly, SmartBug 2.0 retains the user interface, BLE, WIFI, USB, and SD card logging and previous applications such as asset monitoring, smart door lock, and sensor fusion, keeping the original SmartBug experience alive.
- AR glasses
Main features and benefits
- Supports ICM-45686-S IMU, the lowest power IMU from the BalancedGyro family
- Builds, deploys, and tests machine learning models on ICM-456xy IMU
- Supports evaluation of TDK’s VibeSense360 solution for TWS
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK‘s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda. TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2022, TDK posted total sales of USD 15.6 billion and employed about 117,000 people worldwide.
InvenSense, a TDK Group company, is a world-leading provider of Sensing Solutions. InvenSense’s vision of Sensing Everything® targets the consumer electronics and industrial areas with integrated Motion, Sound, Pressure, and Ultrasonic solutions. InvenSense’s solutions combine MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems) sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, barometric pressure sensors, and ultrasonic time-of-flight sensors with proprietary algorithms and firmware that intelligently process, synthesize, and calibrate the output of sensors, maximizing performance and accuracy. InvenSense’s motion tracking, ultrasonic, audio, fingerprint, location platforms and services can be found in Mobile, Wearables, Smart Home, Industrial, Automotive, IoT, Robotics, and many more types of products. InvenSense became part of the MEMS Sensors Business Group within the Sensor Systems Business Company of TDK Corporation in 2017. In April of 2022, Chirp Microsystems formally merged with InvenSense. InvenSense is headquartered in San Jose, California and has offices worldwide.
You can download this text and associated images at https://invensense.tdk.com/CES2023PR_SmartMotion_A