- All-in-one multi-sensor wireless solution with ICM-45686-S BalancedGyro™ IMU platform
- Machine learning enabled – to build, test, and deploy ML models on the IMU
- Head tracking solution added for TWS (true wireless stereo) and AR/VR/MR glass solutions
June 21, 2023
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces market availability of the InvenSense SmartBug 2.0, an all-in-one multi-sensor wireless solution with new features for consumer and IoT applications. SmartBug 2.0 is a smart remote data-collection module for IoT, developed after the success of the original SmartBug in 2019. The SmartBug 2.0 is available in two versions – a standard version and a machine learning version allowing customers and partners to evaluate TDK sensor performance under different use cases or to use it as a wireless data collector/tester with TDK machine learning software. Customers can switch between the two flavors through a firmware update. In addition, existing expansion boards offering Wi-Fi, SD card, and ultrasonic sensor support will work with SmartBug 2.0.
A key attribute of the SmartBug 2.0 is the replacement of the ICM-42688-P IMU with ICM-45686-S, the latest BalancedGyro™ IMU and the world’s lowest power IMU (220 µA @ 50 Hz 6-Axis) from TDK. BalancedGyro™ technology enables developers to collect high quality IMU data for a longer period of time, due to the 3x battery life. The new IMU also provides premium temperature stability and vibration rejection, making SmartBug 2.0 useful for products such as AR glasses, VR, OIS, drones, MR, TWS, and robotics for prototyping, data collection, and machine learning-based algorithm development.
Key features and advantages of SmartBug 2.0:
- Machine Learning: SmartBug 2.0’s key feature is the introduction of machine learning (ML) capabilities. Developers, ODMs, OEMs, and product developers can now use SmartBug 2.0 along with the sensor inference framework (SIF) by TDK to build machine learning solutions for the ICM-45686-S IMU. SIF is an all-in-one comprehensive software by TDK that enables users to collect IMU sensor data, select custom features, build ML models, test performance, deploy, and run those models on the ICM-456xy IMU through the SmartBug 2.0. Examples include algorithms such as exercise classification (squats, jumping jacks, lateral raises, or push-ups) and wrist gesture classification (fight, clench, shake, or still mode
- Head Tracking solution: SmartBug 2.0 adds support for VibeSense360™, TDK’s head tracking solution for TWS and AR applications. SmartBug 2.0 facilitates TWS and audio companies’ ability to collect raw sensor and head orientation data at the lowest power (280 µA at 50 Hz) and learn unique signatures about enabling spatial audio.
- Air Motion solution: SmartBug 2.0 enhances TDK’s Air Motion solution by adding swipe gestures, remote orientation gestures, and accurate cursor tracking for smart TV remotes
- Data collection improvements: SmartBug 2.0 has updated streaming and logging parameters to enable longer duration streaming and logging of multi-sensor and algorithm data
TDK’s SmartBug 2.0 is available now for evaluation with mass availability across distribution at the end of August. For more information or to request a sample, please visit https://invensense.tdk.com/smartsound/ or contact InvenSense Sales at email@example.com about SmartBug 2.0 or VibeSense360.
TDK will demonstrate the SmartBug 2.0 all-in-one multi-sensor wireless solution at the upcoming Sensors Converge 2023, at booth #992 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, June 20-23, 2023. TDK will present a full range of sensor system solutions targeted for applications across automotive, consumer, health, industrial, machine learning, robotics, and more across multiple TDK product brands: InvenSense, Micronas, Qeexo, and Trusted Positioning. More information on TDK technologies and solutions can be found at www.tdk.com
- TWS: True wireless stereo
- AR: Augmented reality
- VR: Virtual reality
- MR: Mixed reality
- IMU: Inertial measurement unit
- IoT: Internet of Things
- ML: Machine learning
- AR/VR/MR glasses
Main features and benefits
- Supports ICM-45686-S IMU, the lowest power IMU from the BalanceGyro™ Family with on-chip sensor fusion
- Builds, deploys, and tests machine learning algorithms on ICM-45686-S IMU
- Supports evaluation of TDK’s VibeSense360 solution for TWS
- Out-of-the-box, one-size-fits-all solution
- Sensors: IMU, magnetometer, pressure, temperature, humidity and ultrasonic
- Arm Cortex M4 MCU
- Wireless connectivity: BLE and WIFI
- Rechargeable battery (290 mAh)
- USB interface
- Wireless multi-sensor and multi-algorithm data streaming and logging using a Win 10 GUI
- Autonomous data logging from multiple sensors on an SD card
- Embedded motion sensor events such as Tap, Tilt, Raise to Wake, Pedometer, Wake on Motion
- Dedicated sensor algorithm output data for multiple IoT applications
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK’s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda. TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2023, TDK posted total sales of USD 16.1 billion and employed about 103,000 people worldwide.
InvenSense, a TDK Group company, is a world-leading provider of SmartSensing platforms targeting the consumer electronics and industrial areas with integrated Motion, Sound, Pressure, and Ultrasonic solutions. InvenSense’s solutions combine MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems) sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, barometric pressure sensors, and ultrasonic time-of-flight sensors with proprietary algorithms and firmware that intelligently process, synthesize, and calibrate the output of sensors, maximizing performance and accuracy. InvenSense’s motion tracking, ultrasonic, audio, fingerprint, location platforms and services can be found in Mobile, Wearables, Smart Home, Industrial, Automotive, IoT, Robotics, and many more types of products. InvenSense became part of the MEMS Sensors Business Group within the Sensor Systems Business Company of TDK Corporation in 2017. InvenSense is headquartered in San Jose, California and has offices worldwide.
You can download this text and associated images at https://invensense.tdk.com/news-media/tdk-announces-availability-smartbug-2-0-multi-sensor-wireless-module