- IAM-20685 mass production started in calendar year 2022
- Safety Manual and Part Approval documentation available upon request
- IAM-20685 ISO 26262 development compliance assessed by third-party consultancy company
January 03, 2023
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces today the full-scale production of InvenSense IAM-20685, the smallest ASIL-B monolithic 6-axis MEMS IMU developed in compliance with ISO 26262 for ADAS and autonomous car systems.
The IAM-20685 supports a wide range of ADAS applications, including but not limited to automated parking, ADAS domain controller, and vision systems.
“Thanks to its 6-axis integration and its ASIL-B compliancy at the component level, the IAM-20685 simplifies automotive ADAS systems development, helping overcome weaknesses of other technologies,” said Alberto Marinoni, Sr Director – Product Marketing Automotive at InvenSense, a TDK Group company. “The high level of performance and the smallest size in the market means the IAM-20685 is the best IMU to integrate in positioning, vision, and radar modules in order to enhance their performance when the satellites are not available, road vibrations are applied, and the tilt is unknown, respectively.”
For additional information, contact InvenSense sales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ISO 26262: Road vehicles — functional safety standard
- ASIL: Automotive safety integrity level
- ADAS: Advanced driver assistance systems
- 6-axis: 3-axis gyroscope + 3-axis accelerometer
- IMU: Inertial measurement unit
- CRC: cyclic redundancy check
- MEMS: Micro-electro-mechanical systems
- LIDAR: Light detection and ranging or laser imaging detection and ranging
IAM-20685 addresses a wide range of automotive applications, including but not limited to:
Autonomous driving systems
Vehicle redundant IMU
Vision systems (camera, radar, LIDAR)
Navigation system aids for dead reckoning
Accurate positioning for vehicle-to-vehicle and infrastructure
Main Features and Benefits
- ASIL-B rated per ISO 26262
- Robust architecture for functional safety:
- 6 independent MEMS proof masses
- 6 independent analog front-end
- Operating Temperature range from -40°C to 105°C
- Reliability testing performed according to Automotive Electronics Council AEC – Q100 grade 2
- Gyroscope full-scale: user selectable from ±41dps to ±1966dps
- Accelerometer full-scale: user selectable from ±2g to ±65g
- Two embedded temperature sensors
- 16-bit on-chip ADCs for accelerometer, gyroscope, and temperature sensor
- SPI serial interface with CRC
- 24-pin QFN package 4.5×4.5×1.1 mm³ with a wettable flanks option
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a world leader in electronic solutions for the smart society based in Tokyo, Japan. Built on a foundation of material sciences mastery, TDK welcomes societal transformation by resolutely remaining at the forefront of technological evolution and deliberately “Attracting Tomorrow.” It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK‘s comprehensive, innovation-driven portfolio features passive components such as ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, as well as magnetics, high-frequency, and piezo and protection devices. The product spectrum also includes sensors and sensor systems such as temperature and pressure, magnetic, and MEMS sensors. In addition, TDK provides power supplies and energy devices, magnetic heads and more. These products are marketed under the product brands TDK, EPCOS, InvenSense, Micronas, Tronics and TDK-Lambda. TDK focuses on demanding markets in automotive, industrial and consumer electronics, and information and communication technology. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2022, TDK posted total sales of USD 15.6 billion and employed about 117,000 people worldwide.
InvenSense, a TDK Group company, is a world-leading provider of Sensing Solutions. InvenSense’s vision of Sensing Everything® targets the consumer electronics and industrial areas with integrated Motion, Sound, Pressure, and Ultrasonic solutions. InvenSense’s solutions combine MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems) sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, barometric pressure sensors, and ultrasonic time-of-flight sensors with proprietary algorithms and firmware that intelligently process, synthesize, and calibrate the output of sensors, maximizing performance and accuracy. InvenSense’s motion tracking, ultrasonic, audio, fingerprint, location platforms and services can be found in Mobile, Wearables, Smart Home, Industrial, Automotive, IoT, Robotics, and many more types of products. InvenSense became part of the MEMS Sensors Business Group within the Sensor Systems Business Company of TDK Corporation in 2017. In April of 2022, Chirp Microsystems formally merged with InvenSense. InvenSense is headquartered in San Jose, California and has offices worldwide.
You can download this text and associated images at https://invensense.tdk.com/CES2023PR_SmartAutomotive/